Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I apply?
- When is the application deadline?
- Are application accepted on a first-come first-serve basis?
- Can I submit the application and teacher recommendation form separately?
- When will I know if I’ve been accepted?
- When is my program fee due?
- What if I don’t pay my program fee on time?
- Who are the program instructors?
- Are programs residential?
- Can students drive to campus?
- Where can I find drop-off/pick-up/parking information?
- How will I get updates about programs?
- Are lunches provided during summer programs?
- What is the withdrawal/refund policy?
- My school is already closed for summer vacation. What do I do about the teacher's recommendation?
- Can the camps be canceled?
1. How do I apply?
Click on the Application Info. page tab on the top left.
2. When is the application deadline?
There is no application deadline. However, we can accommodate 20 campers in each camp. Hence, we will stop accepting applications after 20 students have been accepted. Once we accept 20 students for a camp, we will notify that on the website.
3. Are application accepted on a first-come first-serve basis?
Acceptance is not first come first serve. We will review the applications on a rolling basis. So, applications received within a small range of days might receive same considerations. However, since the camps have limited capacity, early application is encouraged.
4. Can I submit the application and teacher recommendation form separately?
Yes. But we will wait till we receive everything before we evaluate an application.
5. When will I know if I’ve been accepted?
We expect to review applications and inform about acceptance within three weeks of receiving it.
6. When is my program fee due?
Once we inform you of your acceptance, we require you to submit the program fee (minus the $10 application fee that you have already paid) withing three weeks.
7. What if I don’t pay my program fee on time?
Your acceptance is forfeited. We will enforce this to ensure that accepted participants are committed to attend the camp and is not blocking another prospective participant's acceptance.
8. Who are the program instructors?
Two faculty members and one undergraduate student of the VSU Math/CS department.
9. Are programs residential?
No. These are day camps.
10. Can students drive to campus?
Students can drive to campus with written notification signed by a parent/guardian. This notification must be given to the camp instructor the first morning of the program. Parking on campus is extremely limited, hence students who are planning to drive to campus MUST email Dr. Krishnendu Roy for further information about parking.
11. Where can I find drop-off/pick-up/parking information?
All these information will be send to the accepted student's parents approximately one week before the camps.
12. How will I get updates about programs?
We send updates, application status, payment deadlines, and important program information via email. EMAIL IS OUR PRIMARY MEANS OF COMMUNICATION. It is of the utmost importance that the parent email address you provide us on your application is spelled correctly and checked often.
13. Are lunches provided during summer programs?
Your program fees include payment for lunch each day.
14. What is the withdrawal/refund policy?
The $10.00 application fee is non-refundable, and will not be refunded to any student.
For the rest of the tuition fee that you paid:
After you are accepted to the program and paid the tuition fee, partial refunds will be given for withdrawal up to two weeks before a camp is scheduled to begin. No refunds will be given after that. The refund will be given in form of a check and it can take up to four weeks to prepare that check. We will make every effort to make the refund as fast as possible, but since other departments are involved in preparing the check, we cannot guarantee any time-line. Any student who received a need-based scholarship will receive full refund. Any non-scholarship student will be refunded fees paid - $30.
15. My school is already closed for summer vacation. What do I do about the teacher's recommendation?
You can send us a photocopy of your current report card instead of the teacher's recommendation.
16. Can the camps be canceled?
We need at least ten campers per camp in order for the camp to be financially viable. If we do not receive sufficient number of applications for any of our camps, we reserve the right to cancel any camp a week prior to the start of the camp. If a camp is canceled, we will try to accommodate accepted applications of the canceled camp in our other camp. If we fail to do so, we will give full refund of the fees.